At the beginning of a new year, we usually focus what we are giving up – sugar, alcohol, takeaways, bad habits
However, what happens if you focus on what you really want instead of what you dont want?…staying in the positive as opposed to negative
So I ask you, in 2017 what are you saying YES to?
It could be more cash, more success, more meaningful relationships, more FUN, more exercises more healthiness
When you focus on on what you DO want rather than what you DONT want….your thought processes change and its like you are telling the universe…IM READY!!!
Thoughts become things (well Buddha said anyways)…so whatever you think of thats what you attract, so think more of what YOU DO want…and that’s what you’ll attract, I dare you to give it a go 😉
The thing is, when it comes to our dreams we often have a list of no-nos, like if we are wanting to lose weight we say “no weight gain, no laziness” or when we want to find a relationship we say “no losers, no cheaters” but we often don’t think of our yes-yess…. so this means that are attention and focus is more on what we don’t want than what we do want.
So What are YOU saying YES to this year???
Let me know, lets share ur positivities and make 2017 the year we LOVE OUR BODIES and give them what they deserve
YOU ARE WORTH IT (Whether you lose L’Oréal or not haha)
I believe in YOU
Be YOUR Best Self
As we approach New Year..I dont want to encourage you to set an NY Resolution, a “fake” promise to lose weight. shape up, eat better……dont do this.
Honestly…its the worst Resolution you can set.
Instead make yourself a promise
A promise to Try
A promise to Value your Health
A promise to move more…in anyway
A promise to look after yourself
Make yourself a promise to be the healthiest and happiest version of YOU
Not for anyone else
Not for a “holiday”
Not because you feel “guilty” because you have over indulged this Christmas
Not because you think you have to – well ya know because thats what people do in New Year isnt it?
Do it FOR YOU
For YOUR Health
For YOUR Happiness
Dont wanna conform and make a resolution?? THEN DONT
Already know you are going to f**k up? THE DONT
Why put that added pressure on yourself??
Why add the stress” to the body??
How about instead you take January to reflect on what you really want this year?
On what really makes you happy?
On what you really want in your life??
Whatever that is…I wish you a healthy 2018
Do just 1 Thing
Do just 1 thing
Are you on the January Health Kick?
Are your trying to do as much as you can to kick start/lose weight/get fit?? Do you know that you could actually be hindering your progress?
Do you know that you could be doing too much too soon?? YES I mean this….. When we start out and we are eager it can be so easy to just want to do everything at once, completely shocking the body and throwing it into overwhelm and turmoil.
Changing our diets completely and throwing ourselves into every class and gym workout we can, trying every stupid crazy diet and detox…….is actually a recipe for disaster
Do you know why many people fail/give up after just a few weeks of making these resolutions??? Because they DONT SEE RESULTS!!! and then they think….well whats the point and then they go back to their unhealthy and lazy(er) ways.
Just do 1 thing each week/each 2 weeks…don’t scare your body or put it in any danger….just do 1 thing at a time, and nothing dramatic!! Listen to your body and write a a list of all the things you wanna change and then work through the list 1 at a time.
Going all in…can make people wanna give up when hey dont see results in 4 days, it could injure you or just tire you out so much and put your immune system in danger.
Try doing 1 thing each week that will take you closer to your goal….remember for results to be long term it will be gradual and it will take time but it’ll last so much longer.
my TOP TIPS for what you could try:
* Drinking more water
* Taking the stairs instead of the lift
* Having 1 less coffee/tea a day
* Swapping a certain snack for something healthier
* Switching dairy options – or even going dairy free
* Adding breakfast into the mix
* Increasing your fruit and veg intakes
* Have 1 less takeaway a month
* Walk more
* Get up that little bit earlier every morning
* Prep your food
* Try that 1 class that you have always said you would
It doesn’t have to be something dramatic
Small Changes lead to BIG results
YOU GOT THIS
Dont give up
Routine? Struggling? New Year?
Are you struggling to get back into Routine after Christmas?
Are you just not sure where to start?
Are you still staring at the half full box of celebrations?
Are you feeling lethargic and lacking motivation?
DONT WORRY….because I can guarantee you are NOT alone here…..but you also DONT have to suffer.
Here are my Top Tips to help you get back to routine:
- Stop Stressing – by stressing about the fact you are not in routine, will actually make things worse.
- Give yourself a break – we are human – it happens
- Start small – it doesn’t have to be a big elaborate gesture – just start small (drink more water, eat more veggies, go for a walk)
- Set yourself some daily goals/aims you wanna achieve – even if it is simply “get a wash”
- Go for a walk, blow off the cobwebs, get some fresh air and clarity – this is my biggest go to when I am not feeling myself
- Set that alarm, get up with purpose and make a plan for the day
- Put your fav music on and dance around like no1 is watching, I promise if nothing else it’ll make you smile
- Fuel your body with the good stuff, make a smoothie, get some veggies in your body, have juice – look well from the inside out.
- Sign up to that course/class – whatever it is you keep promising yourself
- Sleep!!! Get good quality sleep
- Start a gratitude diary – every morning when you get up to say 1 thing you are grateful for – just 1 thing every day – it’ll lighten your spirits and remind you of what you have
- Step away from the choccies and wine…yes its been lovely to indulge but I bet deep down you are ready for some goodness
- Only make a NY Resolution if you really wanna….if you are just doing it to conform to society then dont bother, as it’ll only stress u out when you dont achieve it because you didn’t really want it.
Its Ok to feel this way
Just dont stay there….pick yourself up and remember of all the things you wanna achieve
Have daily Gratitude
You got this
Before you know it you’ll be back into the swing on things
Having a Sh*t Day??
Are you having a Sh*t Day??
Come on we have all been there…even the happiest and positive people have sh*t days and do you know what….I want to let you into a secret….
Yep thats right, it’s Ok to have a shitty day, to have a meltdown or to just feel down…we are human after all and not robots who have to stay on the hamster wheel going round and round pretending everything is ok.
During our lifetime we are all going to have sh*t times/days/weeks/months…maybe some more than others and yes its hard (trust me Ive been here) an we are all going to deal with it differently…in our own way and in our own time…but if I can give your just 1 piece of advice an if you only take 1 thing from the article its that ITS OK TO HAVE A SH*T DAY/WEEK…JUST DONT LIVE THERE, CRY…SCREAM…HAVE THAT BAD DAY AND THEN MOVE ON…DONT UNPACK AND LIVE THERE……
Tough times dont last…BUT tough people DO and you my friend are a tough cookie, whether you believe it or not.
“Im not a tough cookie” I hear you saying….oh but my lovely…YOU ARE….think of all the bad stuff you’ve been through in your life…and look at you now HERE, living and being f**kin awesome…so give yourself a pat on the back and a smile
As the famous saying goes “get knocked down 7 times…get up 8”….its not about how hard you fall…its how quickly you get back up.
We cant avoid the bad stuff, and sometimes we cant control it…BUT we can control how we react and act on it, how we ‘flip it” and try and make a sh*t situation into something amazing….embrace it and know that you will be OK
I know you are probably thinking “well thats easier said than done Jen” – an yeh it does sound easy, but if you believe and you want it to wok then it can
Our thoughts become things/actions….what we think we become, how often have you been in a bad mood and all you can think is negative thoughts…and then the rest of your day follows on this way, or likewise if you are feeling good/good mood and you think positive thoughts and you go on to have an amazing day…it isn’t just a fluke…your thoughts are literally shaping your mood/day/life.
So if you are having a Sh*t Day today….ITS OK!!
Cry it out..fume…whatever you need to day
Tomorrow’s a new day…
YOU GOT THIS!!!
Fitness….its not all about the physical, but there is a connection
When we think of fitness we often just think of the physical aspects…the sweating, the aches and the grimaces – but its so much more than that!
Your body wont go where your head doesn’t take it…sounds weird I know but its true
How many times has your body wanted to go the gym/class but you talk yourself out of it.
How many times have you been having a bad day and jibbed the fitness?…when really that workout is probably what you needed….they say (whoever they are) that we always avoid the things we really need
Physical Fitness is all the body…the outside an the aesthetics, about fitness, health and progressions and whilst thats amazing – its much more than that
So lets move onto our “Mental Fitness” – very often overlooked and avoided as a “taboo” subject!!
Just as you go to the gym and train your muscles – you need to remember to train what I like to call the “mind muscle” – so by being aware of it, doing stuff that focuses on your mind and helps bring happiness and harmony. yes doing the physical stuff can help with the mind…but we also need to give it some individual attention
There is no doubting that the more you help your body – the more your help you mind…and mental exercise is just as important.
Meditation is one of the best ways of working on your mental fitness and calming the mind…but at the same time its not for everyone.
When you are resting/asleep…quite often the body is relaxing but the mind doesn’t always follow suit.
Keeping your mind fit isn’t as difficult as getting ready for a marathon. You can add mental fitness style exercises into daily life:- Reading, Meditation, Laughing.
The mind-body connection is overlooked but is a massive part of Health,Fitness and wellbeing and is something we need to be more aware of. Our thoughts become things/actions….s what we think we become, how often have you been in a bad mood and all you can think is negative thoughts…and then the rest of your day follows on this way, or likewise if you are feeling good/good mood and you think positive thoughts and you go on to have an amazing day…it isn’t just a fluke…your thoughts are literally shaping your mood/day/life…and then if we dont feel good/happy on the inside then this is going to show on the outside….so see how mental fitness is just as important!!
Here are some ways you can work on your mental fitness:
Guess what…..you “can’t” outrun your fork
YOU CANT OUTRUN YOUR FORK!!
Yep…..no matter how much you train if you eat sh*t then its a recipe for disasters
If you train hard all week and then ruin your diet at the weekend…yes thats fine and its your choice BUT the results will never come
They say Abs are made in the kitchen and in a way thats kinda true, what you eat and what your body absorbs will eventually reflect on the outside and your body is a clever little sausage.
If you train a few times a week that can be 4(ish)hours a week….so thats 164 hours a week you are not exercising (give or take)…so its sometimes more important what you do with those hours then whilst you are actually in the gym. (Im NOT saying the gym hours dont count….)
When it comes down to it….you just need to burn more calories than you consume…that is literally the basics….so unless you going to be exercising more than you’re not…it makes sense to look at your nutrition and make those tweaks and eat right, because you will never out run your fork (but not all calories are created equal)
It does go deeper than that above, as certain foods can trigger certain hormonal changes, food is sending your body information and it will in turn react..but let’s not get too technical.
No matter how hard you train,…YOU WONT see results if you have a sh*tty diet.
Match your diet to your training
Moderation is key
Avoid restricting your diet – as this can lead to long term damage
Good eating happens, exercise and harmony within are cornerstones to health, longevity, happiness and overall health
So stop trying to run away from your fork
Dont be scared to lift those weights
Why YOU should lift weights NOW!
Dont be scared to lift weights…..seriously go grab some weights now n throw them around…….Ermmmm well OK maybe not, but really dont be scared to lift weights
Now ladies I am mainly talking to YOU here…in my time in the fitness industry I have experienced so many women being scared to get int the weights area (mainly because of the egos and meat heads haha) because of a feeling of intimidation and then also I know so many women who are scared to lift weights over fear of getting BIG and ending up like Arnie…..OK, now is the time to get that out your head.
Yes it can be intimidating entering “that part” of the gym when all the men are grunting and lashing weights around like they own the place (half of them haven’t got a clue ‘by the way….and have poor technique, but that’s another story in itself)…..and especially if you aren’t sure “how to” use the weights…it can be daunting (if this is the case but you really want to – seek help from a professional….seriously even if its use a few sessions on technique and exercise etc)
Also a lot of women fear the getting BIG muscles and looking “butch” or like Arnie (not my words…the words of people)…but ladies seriously this is NOT going to happen (naturally!!), for one we dont hold enough natural testosterone (women have 10-30 times less than men) in our bodies to be able to do this and secondly a lot (not all…..!!) a lot of men dont even do that “naturally”…so seriously dont be worrying.
So now do you wanna know all the reasons WHY you SHOULD be lifting those weights (yes I hear you cry)
• Revving up your metabolism…the more muscle = higher metabolism
• Build Muscle…for life though, it helps combat a decline in muscle and bone density
• Helps prevent injury….weight training can lead to not only stronger muscles but also stronger tendons and ligaments
• BE STRONG!!! Physically and Mentally
• Fight the Blues….get those happy endorphins going round the body,
• Makes you feel good….boosts your self esteem
• Gives you body awareness – makes you feel more aware of your body and how it moves…and welcome body confidence
• Drop body fat!!! – due to Lean muscle = higher metabolism
• Strength – without the bulk – get muscle definition
• Strengthens bones also = decreased risk of osteoporosis
• Helps with posture – due to strengthening back and core muscles.
• Reduces Stress -its all about those endorphins
• Be better at ur sport
• You will feel better and then look better
• GET RESULTS
Is that enough reasons??
Are you ready to lift some weights?
I encourage everyone to lift weights….the sooner you start as well the easier
If you are worried or unsure, get a trainer…get a few sessions on using weights and a well designed program
YOU GOT THIS GIRL!!!
Time…..is that really an excuse??
So after a recent survey I done asking people what there biggest struggles where…I decided to do some articles based on all the topics and hopefully give you some tips.
Topic 5: Time
OK…here we go..the “Time Excuse”
Now I know life is busy….hardly anyone is 9-5 Mon-Fri anymore…..society has changed and we are all busy….BUT when it comes to “making time” its all about priorities.
I hear a lot of “I haven’t got time to workout/prep food” but then these some people will sit and watch TV for 2-3 hrs after work…NOW I AM NOT saying there is anything wrong with that, but if you are going to moan there is no time…then have a look at your day.
Yes everyone is different – kids/work/lifestyles/families – I get it – Im busy myself….BUT its about priorities……and it really isn’t that simple.
Can you really not squeeze in 10-15mins a day for some exercise?? Really??
Here are some of my TOP TIPS for making Time be on your side
* Make it a priority….if you want it bad enough you will FIND that spare time….and it doesn’t have to be hours – 20-30mins for a good workout…can you find that 3-4 times a week?
* Write down your day hr and by hr and see where u can maybe manage the time a bit better…can you do just 2 hrs of TV and then have a workout?
* Got Kids?? No probs…..get them involved…do family “moving” activities
* Work long hours?? Suggest that the workplace gets an instructor in at lunchtime to do a class..? Join a local gym and go lunchtimes/before work?
* Get up that little bit earlier and start your day right.
* Organise a schedule within your household that allow you some”you time” – yes I know people have to be parents and stuff but surely YOU can still have YOU TIME….if only for your sanity.
* Hire a trainer to come to YOU….cuts out the travelling time (I train all my client in their own homes)
You see life is busy, time is flying….but what is your health worth to you??
Exercise…its all a little confusing
So after a recent survey I done asking people what there biggest struggles where…I decided to do some articles based on all the topics and hopefully give you some tips.
Topic 4: Exercise
OK….so its kinda a given that if you wanna get fitter (etc) that exercise kinda needs to play a pretty important role….but often when people think exercise they start stressing out and thinking about crazy gym routines, mad classes and hours of endless pain and sweat….and whilst YES some people enjoy that (who??? Haha)…..that isn’t what exercise is about (well not in my eyes anyways)
So lets break it down….how I see it is…exercise is all about moving right??? So as long as you move – then you’re exercising?? Yes….ok now we’ve got that straight…..anything more than that is going to benefit you….so dont start stressing about gym/classes and spending hours of time (you probably dont have) on the “exercise” train
How about just moving??
How about doing something fun??
There is so much you can do – whatever your ability, age or fitness level..so there really is NO excuse.
Here are my TOP TIPS on exercising:
* Quality over Quantity always….its about the quality of a workout rather than how long you spend doing it….so you can actually get a pretty good workout in, in just 30mins, as long as its quality and benefitting you.
* Chose something fun and something you enjoy…after all this is half the battle isn’t it?
* Dont follow the crowd….yeh its great to try new stuff but if it isn’t working for you….what’s the point?
* Get a workout partner…..if thats your thing (its not for me personally)….then you have someone to be accountable to as well.
* Get a Trainer/Coach….if you feel you need that extra help
* WALK…again, always underestimated
* Join that Gym
* Join that Class
Whatever you do…just make sure its for YOU