Stay Active in Winter – my Top Tips
When it comes to Winter…staying active can be the last thing we want to do, we just want to stay snuggled up in a blanket with a cup of tea and some biccies and hibernate in the cold and dark months…BUT Staying active in Winter isn’t as hard as it seems and can actually give you more energy for Winter and the coming months.
I know I know….you don’t want to venture out into the cold and the thought of putting on your gym gear even just gives you chills and all you want is a Big cup of tea and your dressing gown
Here are my TOP TIPS to staying active this Winter
* Fun Outdoors Activities – check what is going on locally or in the community
* Layer Up – you can always go outside when its cold as long as you are laid up and then you ca always remove layers when you go indoors or get warm
* Stay Hydrated – it isn’t just the Summer that we need to stay hydrated…..in the winter too – even nice hot drinks like tea and hot water….keeping the insides warm but also staying hydrated
* Walking – go for a walk, get wrapped up and go for a walk. There is something quite special about being in nature and this time of year we have the leaves falling and the crunching under our feet. Walking is a great way to energise the Physical and Mental Body – its FREE and can be done as a family.
* Take the stairs – if going outside just makes u feel cold…take the stairs at work instead of the lift.
* There are 1000000s of videos on Youtube that are FREE…check them out (mine is www.youtube.com/jenbostar)
* Take up a winter sport
Staying active during Winter will give you more energy and strengthen the immune system and this will help keep colds at bay. It will keep you warm and also increase your mood.
Make your goals smaller in these Winter months…..dont over stress the body by making Goals BIG at this time of year…there is enough going on, just make the goals small and manageable
Cold and Flu Season.,..how to stay healthy!!
This time of year is when we are all more likely to pick up colds and flus – but you dont have to be attacked by these nasty germs….you can help you body and make it more immune to the nasties and be cold/flu free all Winter.
Although we cant avoid everything we can do things to help keep our immune systems strong and our body’s healthy all year round.
Here are my TOP TIPS to warding off Colds and Flus this Winter:
* Exercise…yeh hear I go again but exercise will help strengthen the immune system, keep you warm and give you more energy…so go do it!
* When you go the gym…clean the machines after use (and maybe before) germs can be spread through sweat and touch
* Sleep….I cant even stress the importance of a good nights quality sleep – it will reduce cortisol levels in the body
* Make Wellness Shots (see another post)
* Get a Massage…not only will it warm you up but it will also increase your circulation and improve the function of your immune system.
* De-Stress – try and use these Winter months to channel into the energy of nurturing and self love – remove any internal and external stress from your life.
* Make sure you are fuelling your body with nutritious food, thats ill keep you warm…provide vitamins and minerals into the body and of course just keep you healthy.
* Reduce/Limit Alcohol as this supresses the immune system and it wont function properly
* Stay Hydrated
* Take echinacea supplement
Sometimes we cannot avoid catching colds and flus but we can do the best we can to be able to put our bodies in a Healthy and Strong state
Crystals for Colds and Flus
Crystals for Colds and Flus:
* Carnelian – Helps strengthen the immune system, boost vitality and fortifies the body
* Aventurine – Good for general Health and the Circulatory System….and also the Heart as it is linked to the Heart Chakra
* Flourite – Cleansing and purifying to the Aura and helps remove toxins
* Larimar – Good for the throat and nurtures the body
* Amber – A natural antibiotic and also a wonderful tonic for illness
* Citrine – Energizing and good for S.A.D
* Bloodstone – Balances and Cleanses Bloodstream
Crystals for the Winter Blues
Crystals for Winter Blues:
* Red Jasper – helps warm limbs and muscles
* Carnelian – help protect your aura
* Citrine – very warming and also carries energies from the sun
* Pyrite – Helps with infections and reduces inflammation
* Sunstone – like a Ray of sunshine and helps with the endocrine system
* Ruby/Garnet – Energizing and brings vitality to the body
* Black Onyx – Grounding
Hey *|FNAME|* Today is Sugar Awareness Day
Sugar…..do do do dodoooo ohhh honey honey…. Did you know that Sugar is actually seen as an “energy food”…could this be anymore misleading?…There is enough evidence out there that White Sugar actually robs the body of B Vitamins, disrupts calcium metabolism and has an effect on the nervous system…..still want some sugar? Simple Carbs/SUGAR can cause drastic spikes of Blood Glucose Levels…Simple Carbs/ Sugars are refined and the body doesnt event recognise any benefits from them Glucose is the form of energy you were designed to run on…..every cell uses Glucose for energy
The more sugar you eat, the more effective your body is in absorbing it and the more you absorb, the more damage you do…..see?? You become “sensitized” to sugar as time goes on. Because sugar tastes good, it can be very difficult to avoid consuming excess amounts of it. Sugar is habit forming. It is addicting. And that can lead to all kinds of health problems. Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value. Consuming a lot of sugar is the equivalent of taking a daily fat pill.
Some Sugary Facts (based in US…but lets be honest we here in the UK are not too far behind now…) in 1700 the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar a year in 1800 the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar a year in 1900 the average person consumed about 90 pounds of sugar a year in 2009 the average person consumed about 180 pounds of sugar a year Sugar is in soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks,spreads, sauces and as mentioned before in most processed foods (all fibre has been removed from processed foods so there is no value to them at all) …any wonder the obesity epidemic is getting worse? Cereals, Coffee, Tea, Cakes….all comfort foods that were always meant as “treats” are now being part of peoples daily diet. Even worse…Sugar in excess can actually cause Hormonal changes in the body that will lead to overeating….and sometimes without you even realising Sugar will: Suppress the Immune System Increase inflammation Increase Blood Sugar levels (leading to Liver fatigue and possibly Diabetes) Increase risk/severity of Depression Want to feel better: Improve your nutrition and REMOVE (or at least cut down) your sugar intake SLEEP is key EXERCISE By doing all this you will soon find dont and wont “NEED” that sugar fix for energy 1 tsp of sugar gives the body the same reaction as a potato, but sugar is an ANTI Nutrient….so it doesnt really help the body in anyway!! Carbs from Veggies, Fruit and Grains contain more nutrients than from sugar….so its pretty much self explanitary Sugar is actually found in the majority of the “fat free” food you see out there now….lets be honest if its FAT FREE they have to add something to it to give it some taste….so FATE FREE = CHEMICAL SH*TSTORM!!
When you eat sugar it triggers production of the brains natural Opioids (a key ingredient in the addiction process) therefore when you eat sugar your brain becomes addicted to the release of Opioids…proving again that SUGAR ADDICTION is just as bad as Alcohol and Drugs…….(studies have shown this, Ive not just made it up) scary hey?? Thats why it is so hard for people to step away from the sugary, processed filled foods…because unknowingly they become addicted!! Sugar = bad health = unhappiness…..meaning sugar is actually an unhappy pleasure….not so appealing when you think of it like that is it. Ever had that daily fatigue/mid afternoon slump…what do most people reach for? A Sugary filled snack….adding to the adverse effects of Sugar and still believing that it will bring them some energy. Sugar will raise both Insulin and Leptin Levels and cause Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Weight Gain and Premature Ageing……not something I think any o us are looking for, I am sure you would agree.
SIMPLE SUGARS: Sucrose Found in the majority of processed foods. It contains NO vitamins or minerals so it robs from the body. Fructose Only “natural” when found in fresh fruits that contain all the Vits and Mins needed by us. 20 times sweeter than table sugar. The body metabolizes Fructose in a different way from Glucose and this burden of doing so lies with the Liver 120 cals of fructose results in 40 cals getting stored as FAT Interferes with brains communication with leptin…which results in overeating So all these “diet” and “low fat” packaged food you are buying are actually NO GOOD for you at all, they are jam packed full of simple carbs and sugars that provide no benefits and no nutritional value to you and your body….so DONT be fooled by the big LOW FAT Label plastered all over them. BE wise when choosing your meals….its not just about CALORIES!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE SUGAR CUBES
Stress and Effects on your Body
In some way our lives are all full of hassles, deadlines, frustrations, and demands….whether it be from work or home life. For a lot of people Stress starts to become a way of life. Its not always a bad thing-in small doses, it can help you perform under pressure and motivate you to do your best. But when you’re constantly running in “stress” mode, your health and wellbeing will start to pay the price.
If you constantly feel frazzled and overwhelmed, it’s time to take action to bring your nervous system back into balance.
The Body’s Stress Response
When you perceive a threat, your nervous system responds by releasing a flood of stress hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones rouse the body for emergency action.
Your heart pounds faster, muscles tighten, blood pressure rises, breath quickens, and your senses become sharper. These physical changes increase your strength and stamina, speed your reaction time, and enhance your focus – preparing you to either fight or flee from the danger at hand.
Common external causes of stress
Not all stress is caused by external factors. Stress can also be self-generated:
- Major life changes
- Relationship difficulties
- Financial problems
- Being too busy
- Children and family
Common internal causes of stress
Not all stress is caused by external factors. Stress can also be self-generated:
- Inability to accept uncertainty
- Negative self-talk
- Unrealistic expectations
- Lack of assertiveness
Many health problems are caused or exacerbated by stress, including:
- Pain of any kind
- Heart disease
- Digestive problems
- Sleep problems
- Autoimmune diseases
- Skin conditions, such as eczema
Unhealthy ways of coping with stress
These coping strategies may temporarily reduce stress, but they cause more damage in the long run:
- Drinking too much
- Overeating or undereating
- Zoning out for hours in front of the TV or computer
- Withdrawing from friends, family, and activities
- Using pills or drugs to relax
- Sleeping too much
- Filling up every minute of the day to avoid facing problems
- Taking out your stress on others (lashing out, angry outbursts, physical violence)
You can increase your resistance to stress by strengthening your physical health.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity plays a key role in reducing and preventing the effects of stress. Make time for exercise, at least three times per week. Nothing beats exercise for releasing pent-up stress and tension….plus it becomes “you” time!
- Eat a healthy diet. Well-nourished bodies are better prepared to cope with stress, so be mindful of what you eat. Start your day right with breakfast, and keep your energy up and your mind clear with balanced, nutritious meals throughout the day. Avoid “Processed” foods like the devil and get variety in your diet.
- Avoid caffeine and sugar. The temporary “highs” caffeine and sugar provide often end in with a crash in mood and energy. By removing the coffee, soft drinks, chocolate, and sugar snacks in your diet, you’ll feel more relaxed and you’ll sleep better.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs. Self-medicating with alcohol or drugs may provide an easy escape from stress, but the relief is only temporary. Don’t avoid or mask the issue at hand; deal with problems head on and with a clear mind.
- Get enough sleep. Adequate sleep fuels your mind, as well as your body. Feeling tired will increase your stress because it may cause you to think irrationally.
Cortisol is an important hormone in the body, secreted by the adrenal glands and involved in the following functions and more:
- Proper glucose metabolism
- Regulation of blood pressure
- Insulin release for blood sugar maintanence
- Immune function
- Inflammatory response
Cortisol has been named “the stress hormone” because it’s also secreted in higher levels during the body’s ‘fight or flight’response to stress, and is responsible for several stress-related changes in the body. Small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:
- A quick burst of energy for survival reasons
- Heightened memory functions
- A burst of increased immunity
- Lower sensitivity to pain
- Helps maintain homeostasis in the body
Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream have been shown to have negative effects, such as:
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Suppressed thyroid function
- Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease in muscle tissue
- Higher blood pressure
- Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
- Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!
Do you Love YOU? I mean deep down really LOVE YOU….and not in a conceted way or a selfie pout kinda way….I mean Self Love.
Now when I say self love….it may sound weird and some people actually think it’s wrong to love yourself and that’s fine, I mean we are al different after all. But how can you love anyone else or expect anyone to love you when you one love yourself.
YOU are an amazing human being, with so much potential and so much to give….you have gotten where u r now with all of life’s ups and downs and yet here you are living and smiling.
If you were to speak to your best friend the way you sometimes speak to yourself…..how do you think they would feel? Speak to yourself the way you do your best friend whom you love, be your own best friend and show yourself some LOVE.
LOVE YOUR BODY – yes you can – regardless of lumps, bumps, curves – who cares? It’s YOUR body – you live in it and no1 else does…so learn to love it and suck it up buttercup, you have an amazing shell of a body to live in…start showing it some love,instead of finding the flaws and criticising yourself….really look at yourself and smile and see beyond it all. Love your body enough to NOT restrict food and Love your body enough to NOT see exercise as a chore.
LOVE YOU – think of all the people who love you – they do for a reason right? because you are worth it (flick ur hair in the style of L’Oreal if you must) but they love you because they see something special in YOU…..so start looking deeper and seeing that same something special.
LOVE YOUR FOOD – probably one of the biggest relationships we all have is with food…am I right? Love/Hate and all that jazz. We’ve all been “on a diet” haven’t we, we’ve all restricted ourselves and stopped ourselves from eating something we love because of the calories (blahh blahh) – and yes of course it’s good to eat healthy and make the right choices…BUT it is also OK to have a little bit of what YOU LOVE every so often…and when you do DONT beat yourself up about it….so what?? Create a great relationship with food and you will never have to diet again.
TELL YOURSELF “I LOVE YOU” EVERYDAY – I started a book called “mirror work” and it’s 21 days program and it gives you tasks to do – which means talking to yourself into the Miri with positive affirmations, now I don’t mean full on convos and looking like a nutter…but it’s allowing yourself to look yourself in the eye everymorning (or whenever u pass a mirror) and saying out loud/in your head – that I LOVE YOU or some other positive affirmation, rather than a negative comment about yourself…yes at first it seems weird and a little scary but trust me after a few days it becomes norm and also…you start believing and after all that’s all that matters.
ITS OK TO LOVE YOURSELF
Show yourself some LOVE and reach deep inside your heart and soul and start to realise how amazing you are and how much you deserve to be LOVED.
Now go and tell yourself that I LOVE YOU!!!!
Its not always a “physical” thing
When you see a physical change in someone – its easy to see isnt it…..I mean lets say someone loses weight or gets their eyebrows/lashes done or they go and get their hair or make-up done….its a physical change, an instant difference that you can see and notice change in that person.
When you go through a transformation inside or you get a massage or holistic treatment like “reiki” the change isnt on the outside, people may not notice and at first you may not see the change either. You see with Massage and healing type therapies the change is often on a more emotional, mental and spiritual level…..and they aren’t always instant like make-up or a hair do…BUT this doesn’t discredit the treatment at all.
Often when we have a Massage or Healing treatment, we can feel that instant change and benefit and sometimes it may take time for our body to adjust and change…..and these changes are normally subtle and take shape over time and it isnt until someone maybe says something or you take some time to sit and reflect you can be like WOW and you can see the shift the change.
So although the benefits and changes of Massage and Healing are not seen by the naked eye and may not be as instant as others…dont discredit what they are doing on a soul level, what they are doing to heal you from the inside out….I think a lot of the time we get hung up on “physical” and “aesthetics” and we often neglect the inside, the mind and the soul.
Massage and Healing work on a deeper level
Change is there
The Shift is happening
Just believe and let it happen
Stop! Its all about YOU
Your journey is just that YOUR Journey and no-one else’s
Remember we are all individuals
We all are built differently, we all move differently and anatomically we are all different.
What works for 1 person may not work for the next
STOP comparing your day 1 to someone else’s day 300
We are all at different stages in our Fitness Journey and it can be hard not to look at someone else and be a little envious, use them for inspiration BUT remember that you are you and they are them…..and we will all change in our own time
Focus on you
Focus on your goal
Focus on your happiness
Focus on what you are doing
10things you dont know about ME
10 Things you don’t know about me (or might not know)
I thought it’d be fun to get to know me and tell you some things you don’t know about me….as much as I use this page for business its nice to share something personal at times.
- Im an only child and also an only grandchild
- When I left school I did Law and Politics A-Levels as I wanted to be the next Prime Minister (prob still will be one day haha)
- Despite my outgoing nature in classes and socially…Im a introvert who loves being alone
- Im obsessed with the Moon and all things healing
- When I was 21 I lived in Greece and worked in a gym out there, learnt to speak Greek and everything.
- Ive been single for 7 years, despite some people thinking Im married haha
- I don’t want kids…never ever!!
- Ive done Ballroom and Latin Dancing all my live and passed all my gradings to the highest possible one
- Im a qualified Life Coach/Spiritual Life Coach
10. Im a lover of dark chocolate 😍
So there ya know….a few unknown facts about little old me