Pre & Post Workout Food…what to eat?
Pre/Post workout…what should you eat? What should you avoid?
Its a question that comes up quite often, what type of food and how soon before and after a workout should you eat….well I hope this little article will help you out a bit.
The point of the pre workout is to give your body some energy from the right sources to be able to do your workout properly, but this should be 1-2hrs before training, to be able to allow the body to digest it. A Mix of complex carbs to ensure a slow release of energy, and also easily digestible.
Organic Peanut Butter (not sun pat) on Gluten Free Bread with Banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon
Seeds/Nuts (small amount as high in fat)
Fruit & Nut Style Trail Mix – handful
Oatmeal – slow release
Apple Wedges with Peanut Butter on
Helping to increase energy levels & avoid that sugar crash that you would get from sugary, crappy snacks
The point of the post workout is to give the body nutrients to restore and rehydrate the body and aid with muscle recovery. The post workout food should be 30-45mins after.
Lean proteins – non bloating
Salmon – inflammatory and helps regulate insulin levels
Sweet Potato – helps restore Glycogen levels
Spinach – lowers Blood Pressure, is an anti inflammatory and helps curb appetite
Eggs – aid muscle recovery
Avocado – Helps the body absorb minerals from veggies
Protein & Veggies rich juice/smoothie drink
I hope this has helped
Avoid any sugary snacks, that you think give you a high and also caffeine – its not doing the body any good and as much as you feel it is aiding a workout or recovery its just adding sugar to the body….also check out “protein bars & Shakes” if you are taking them – look at the sugar content, yes they may be full of protein BUT almost all of them are laden with sugar…so kind of cancels out the good stuff
IFS – In my words
So IFS – you would of seen me talking about this, but for those of you who aren’t aware of what it is….Its the “International Fitness Showcase” – this is an annual event for all Fitness Peeps held in the wonderful and beautiful Winter Gardens in Blackpool…..its a 3 day event. Its 8-6 Fri and Sat and 830-330 Sun. A class every hour, something different to chose from…..There are Lectures, Workshops, Masterclasses and everything from Yoga to High Intensity classes….from Lectures on Biomechanics to Pole!!
Its an unreal event and has been running for years and year….I wish it was more than once a year but hey ho…..the count down begins until the next one.
You wouldn’t believe it until you seen it with your eyes…..some sessions having up to 500 people in them…YES I kid you not!!
The thing I like about it most and what draws me to it….is that for those 3 days I am surrounded by likeminded, positive, happy and healthy people – everyone is there for the same reason…to learn, be inspired and have FUN!!! Now Im not saying Im always surrounded by miserable, negative people in “real life” (well sometimes I am)…but what I am saying is the atmospheres unreal….it really gives you a boost and inspires you…even down to 1 block of choreography can inspire so many ideas!!
Alongside all of the classes there is a corridor full of stalls….oh and did I indulge, well I mean whilst in Blackpool and all that! Stalls selling Fitness Clothing, Music, Equipment and Courses…its amazing…and of course decent prices.
YES you ache
YES you sweat
and YES you work hard
…..but do you know what its worth every drip of sweat and every aching muscle, because I have come away inspired and pumped and so many ideas buzzing round in my head, so much content taken away….and ready to take OneBody Fitness to the next level!!!
The Presenters (I suppose we can say Famous in Fitness…to a degree) – think going to learn to cook better from Jamie Oliver (for a comparison)….always inspire, their energy is infectious and there is always new fresh ideas to take away!!!…so a BIG THANKS goes out to them.
It was great to catch up with old friends, meet new ones and have so much FUN….
So IFS until next year…Thanks for the inspiration!
The life of a Fitness Instructor
This goes out to all the Class Instructors/PTs and basically anyone who runs their own business no matter what sector you are in….BUT more so the “Fitness Industry”
Do you ever hear this?
“wow you only do 2 classes a day….you much have sooo much spare time”
“wow you get £15-30 a session/class/hour….you must be minted”
“must be great to just workout for a living”
Yes I am sure you have heard all the above (and more) hundreds of times……and I suppose in a way we cant really blame the public for this, because after all this is all they ever see. Ive had clients/class members/friends and even family tell me I am s lucky cos I only “WORK” (being the word) a few hours a day…..hmmmm if only they knew
YES working for yourself is amazing, you can pretty much pick and choose when you do/don’t work, who you work with/for…..and how much you want to work…its amazing and its been my dream forever but people never ever see the other side…..on top of all the classes we teach/clients we train, we spend hours and hours outside of class preparing routines, writing programs, researching, reading, studying looking for specific music and creating class lesson plans…. and guess what believe it or not they don’t just miraculously come to us in class…..but again this is the side no1 ever sees. When we sit at home creating all the above and practising routines and are practically lashing the laptop out the window cos we have “instructor block”, when we stress about programs/routines….no one pays us for this, the endless hours sat in front of the laptop, in a studio or heads in a book…again no money here….
The Life of a Fitness Instructor/PT/Class Instructor is full of fun. laughs, smiles, new challenges, confidence, happiness and the chance to meet people…and this is the side everyone see’s and admires (and the side we thrive off of course), when in truth the other side of the Life of a Fitness Instructor (the side no1 see’s and understands) is full of sweat, tears, nerves, injuries, mental and physical draining, self doubt, fatigue….carrying on when you are sick and having the balls and confidence to stand up infront of a room full of people and be the 1 everyone is concentrating on and looking at when inside you are falling apart….that is the hardest part ever! Its like show business…standing up and basically performing and for that hour (or whatever) putting a smile on your face and forgetting everything. Also Standing up infront of a room of women, who look up to you and feeling a like a big frump in your clothes and feeling like a fraud….even though no1 else in the room feels that way but YOU……thats a toughie too….. There is a lot of misconceptions around the Life of a Fitness/Class Instructor…..the majority of people think because you are a Fitness/Class Instructor then life is all rosy and that we are perfect and eat perfect and don’t need to worry about our weight and how we luck…….OMG how wrong is that! A lot of people also expect that all Fitness/Class Instructors should be size 8 skinny minnies wearing crop tops……oh please as if!
As well as this consider that I personally (and I am sure others do to) do all of this on top of teaching a class:
Music – buy and prep
FREE videos for youtube and clients
Attend Courses/Online Seminar
And much more
The knowledge a true Fitness Professional has, doesn’t just come from 1 course or reading 1 book (if only), it comes from years and years of endless “unpaid” (and to some extent) unappreciated hours of hard work, research, reading, planning, preparing.
So ALWAYS appreciate the time given to you by anyone……because you never know what goes on “behind the scenes” of a business until you have been there yourself……and this does apply to most business that you deal with (especially small businesses) – always consider that the person behind this business puts in hours and hours of hard work…that you don’t see…its not a case of “abacadabara” and there it is…..this ain’t no fairytale shizzle….this is real life.
Cut your instructor a bit of slack because like me – inside they could be breaking and falling apart but for you they will always have a smile and I love all my class members and a smile I will always have for them
Spice up your Life
So when it comes to Nutrition I am a pretty Plain Jane – I don’t really add spice to stuff and I never use any sauces or anything processed to my food BUT….below I have outline my 3 absolute fav and I wanted to share them with you and also outline some of the amazing Health benefits from using them
I have Loose Leaf Tea, Fresh ginger and add to cooking, smoothies and juices
* Has a long history of use for relieving digestive problems such as nausea, loss of appetite, motion sickness and pain
* Contains very potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols.
* Gingerols, the main active components in ginger and the ones responsible for its distinctive flavour, may also inhibit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells.
* Ginger extracts have been shown to have both antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumour effects on cells.
* Warming on a cold day and can help promote healthy sweating, which is often helpful during colds and flus. A good sweat may do a lot more than simply assist detoxification.
* Very effective in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness, especially seasickness
* Anti-vomiting action has been shown to be very useful in reducing the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
* Ginger has been shown to be effective against exercise-induced muscle pain
* Ginger appears to be very effective against menstrual pain when taken at the beginning of the menstrual period.
This is strong in colour and flavour and I don’t add much, but I sprinkle on scrambled egg, steamed veggies, add to smoothies and juices!!
* Long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine
* Significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin and curcumin produces no toxicity.
* Has powerful antioxidant & Inflammatory effects.
* It’s combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects explains why many people with joint disease find relief when they use the spice regularly
* Curcumin’s antioxidant actions enable it to protect the colon cells from free radicals that can damage cellular DNA
* Curcumin also helps the body to destroy mutated cancer cells, so they cannot spread through the body and cause more harm. A primary way in which curcumin does so is by enhancing liver function.
* Amazing effects of turmeric on the liver’s ability to detoxify
* Good source of vitamin B6
* Cholesterol-lowering effects are the result of the curry spice’s active constituent, curcumin,
* Growing evidence suggests that turmeric may afford protection against neurodegenerative diseases.
I had to my smoothies, porridge oats, herbal teas and any baking…always get that warming feeling from it
* Lower blood sugar levels, reduce heart disease risk factors
* Loaded with powerful antioxidants which protect the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals and the antioxidants in it have potent anti-inflammatory activity
* It helps the body fight infections and repair tissue damage.
* It can dramatically reduce insulin resistance, helping this incredibly important hormone to do its job
* Well known for its blood sugar lowering effects.
* Two compounds found in cinnamon appear to inhibit the buildup of a protein called tau in the brain, which is one of the hallmarks of Alzheimer’s disease
Not only does consuming cinnamon improve the body’s ability to utilise blood sugar, but just smelling the wonderful odour of this sweet spice boosts brain activity
Im pretty sure there are thousands more benefits but I just want to outline the main ones (in my opinion)
Hope this helps